Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Stamp

1KČS
PRAGA
1978
Československo

Line drawings of what seem to be angels and saints. Two circles a smaller one inside the larger. The larger has a solid ring with Arabic numerals. Just inside the solid ring is a ring of Roman Numerals in seems to be in no particular order. There is a two coloured background with seemingly random lines across the large circle. While the smaller circle  has a solid ring with the twelve zodiac signs separated by lines.

What is this?

The font for 1KČS Československo are in a Blackletter style font that gives me no useful information other than that it is from another country. Possibly Russian? Well I'll come back to that later. Well PRAGA 1978 is a Sans Serif font. There is a hunting horn with a globe in it's center above PRAGA which is in turn above 1978. PRAGA is an outline bold. Well let's Google this logo. It brings me to find out that Praga is a district of Warsaw, Poland. Also I learn that in 1978  there was The European Athletics Championships in Prague the capital of then Czechoslovakia. After much more googling I found a stamp website with a series of stamps including my stamp. Though in another language I copied the topic of the stamps and Googled it. That lead me to discover the Prague Astronomical Clock. Once I saw that I knew exactly what my stamp was. It was probably a celebration of the 1978 Championships in Prague using landmarks from the city.

Very interesting I have found a new thing to have in my life astronomical clocks.

But back to the fonts which was the assignment. Though lovely the Blackletter font in Czech makes it hard to understand for an English speaker. It was hard to tell what was accenting marks from the language and what was decoration from the font. I have still yet to figure out the type of currency that 1KČS stands for.  The logo with PRAGA 1978 was very readable in Sans Serif font didn't give me a whole lot of clues as to what the stamp was depicting. The Arabic Numerals were done in a font to mimic Roman and Greek letters used on buildings. The Roman Numerals were done in a Sans Serif font. Yet both the Arabic and Roman Numerals were small enough I had trouble reading them. I think one would have to be a local of Prague or surrounding areas to understand what was depicted in this stamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment